Tuesday, May 12, 2009

whew!

All of a sudden I realized, I really was alright again. Almost everything that I had resolved to do in my weakest moment, I had done. And it had worked as I hypothesized it would. I left Europe to face the USA and my family, secretly my biggest fears, and I am no longer afraid of where I'm from. I swear it's true what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger... For a time I feared that was just to make those of us suffering feel better momentarily, like a morphine pill or a cortisone injection. But really, I came to San Francisco, a new city to me, and I think it has been easier for me than many new arrivals to be at home here. After Manila, Madrid, Marseille and the many stops in between, some simpler than others, being back on my home soil, anywhere, is refreshingly simple... And though in some ways, I guess you could say I've become an awful snob, I get it... Even the things I don't agree with. They are in my blood (even if I don't want them to be) because I was born in this country.

No comments: